Sui Ishida (石田 スイ, Ishida Sui), born December 28, Fukuoka Prefecture, Japan, is a Japanese manga artist. He is known for creating Tokyo Ghoul and Tokyo Ghoul: re.
Sui Ishida was born in Fukuoka on December 28 1986. Not much is known about his life before the publishing of Tokyo Ghoul. He stated on social media that as a child, rather than reading he was "constantly swinging on horizontal bars", which means he was very likely athletic. He also worked as an tattoo artist before being a mangaka.
Before publishing Tokyo Ghoul's oneshot, Ishida wrote two webcomics. The first one was called The Tale of Longing for Sex (セックスしたい物語, Sekkusu Shitai Monogatari) and was published in 2009 under the pen name Nashimoto (梨元, Nashimoto), but apparently it's data was lost due to hard drive problems. The second one is called THE PENISMAN and was published in 2010 under the pen name Sotonami (そとなみ, Sotonami).
He stated in his blog that he started to live in Fukuoka in the first half of 2012.
In 2010 he won the Young Jump 113th Grand Prix award with Tokyo Ghoul (東京喰種トーキョーグール, Tōkyō Gūru). In March 2011, the same oneshot was published in the 2nd Issue of Miracle Jump. And later in September 2011, Tokyo Ghoul started as a series in Weekly Young Jump 2011-41 Issue. In December 2011, he made another oneshot about Rize Kamishiro that was published in December 2011 in Miracle Jump 6th Issue, which was later collected in the fifth volume of Tokyo Ghoul.
In 2013, he also started Tokyo Ghoul: Jack in the digital magazine Jump LIVE.
After the ending of Tokyo Ghoul and around one month later in October 2014, the sequel manga, Tokyo Ghoul:re, was published in Weekly Young Jump and ended in July 2018.
In 2019 he started working in a otome game called Jack Jeanne, that was published in 2021.
In 2021 Ishida started to serialize his new manga, Choujin X, in an irregular release schedule in Tonari no Young magazine. As he doesn't have to publish weekly anymore he started to have more time to publish his webcomis and produce other content, mostly in his YouTube channel.
- The Tale of Longing for Sex (セックスしたい物語) (2009) (webcomic)
- THE PENISMAN (2010) (webcomic)
- Tokyo Ghoul (東京喰種) (2010/2011) Miracle Jump 2nd Issue (oneshot)
- Tokyo Ghoul (東京喰種) (2011) Weekly Young Jump 2011-41 Issue (series)
- Tokyo Ghoul: Rize (東京喰種 リゼ) (2011) Miracle Jump 6th Issue (oneshot)
- Tokyo Ghoul: Jack (東京喰種［JACK］) (2013) Jump LIVE (series)
- Tokyo Ghoul: Joker (東京喰種 ジョーカー) June 30, 2014 Shonen Jump 2014-31 (oneshot)
- Tokyo Ghoul:re (東京喰種:re) (2014) Weekly Young Jump 2014-46 Issue (series)
- Hisoka Story Draft (2016) (oneshot)
- Animal Rap (どうぶつラップ) (2017) note.com (original) / YouTube (voiced) (webcomic)
- Choujin X (超人Ｘ) (2021) Tonari no Young Jump (series)
- Jack Jeanne (2021) (videogame)
- This Gorilla Will Die 1 Day (1日後に死ぬゴリラ) (2021) (webcomic)
- Parasite NoThankYou (寄生人間NoThankYou) (2021) note.com (webcomic)
Ishida is very open about his music taste. He puts references of it in his work and makes art of bands and songs he likes occasionally. He seems to enjoy J-pop and J-rock as he posted art of several groups, singers and albums of the genres on his social media, including works related to FANTASTICS from EXILE TRIBE, ano, Reol, Tokyo Gegegay and Queen Bee. He posted fanart of some K-pop groups as well. He also seems to be a fan of the band Ling tosite Sigure as he named a Tokyo Ghoul chapter after one of their songs and personally requested their lead singer, TK, to sing the opening theme of the first season of the anime.
He is also a fan of the groups who performed the ending and opening themes of the anime, österreich and Amazarashi. He drew a cover for their albuns and made a cameo appearance in Amazarashi's music video of their song "Ending Theme".
Anime, manga and games
Ishida seems to be a fan of Attack on Titan as he made an art to celebrate the final chapter release. He also made some art of Tokyo Revengers, Naruto, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Final Fantasy and others. He stated multiple times that he is a fan of Hunter x Hunter and studied Yoshihiro Togashi's style.
Sui Ishida said that he liked playing games, such as Fallout and Orechika 2 before going to bed. He named one of his character, Abara Hanbee, after a Orechika 2 character and made a drawing of the the Quinx Squad, from Tokyo Ghoul, in the roles of characters from the game. He also made gameplays of the games Heavy Rain, Hitman 3 and Resident Evil 8 in his YouTube channel.
Ishida also likes to write poem that he posts along with his drawings in his Tumblr. His work seems to be strongly influenced by the authors Franz Kafka (The Metamorphosis), and Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (The Little Prince) and a lot of times contains references and parallels.
Ishida seems to be in good friendly terms with Atsushi Nakayama, fellow manga artist in Young Jump and author of Nejimaki Kagyu, who even drew a Tokyo Ghoul illustration as a gift for Ishida's birthday. Later Sui Ishida returned the favor, as he and other artists each drew an illustration for Nejimaki Kagyu's last chapter.
He also seems to be friends with Hanada Ryo, the author of the seinen manga Devil's Line. Once Ishida visited Ryo because he was feeling unwell and received a thank-you illustration by him. He said he would considerate the illustration as a friendart rather than a fanart.
Sui Ishida seems to have a somewhat healthy lifestyle. He said on Twitter that he doesn't smoke, likes to go running sometimes and drinks a lot of Calpis.
- Ishida uses an LCD Tablet to draw.
- Ishida uses PaintTool SAI to draw, among other tools.
- Ishida seems to be a fan of the Japanese rock band 凛として時雨 (Ling tosite sigure) given he has named Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 74 after one of their songs.
- He actively promoted TK's (lead singer) Tour 2016 "Signal to Noise" by illustrating fan articles.
- He personally requested TK to sing the opening song for the anime's first season.
- Ishida drew three album covers. Two of them were for the bands who made the opening and ending themes for Tokyo Ghoul √A, österreich and [./https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazarashi Amazarashi]. The other one was for MIYAVI's single "No Sleep Till Tokyo".
- He was also asked to make a illustration for Iwai Shunji's movie "The bride of Rip Van Winkle".
- Twitter: Sui Ishida's Twitter (more directed to the mangas and games he creates, official announcements and art)
- Twitter: Sui Ishida's second Twitter account (more directed to personal thoughts and his webcomics)
- Note: Ishida's blog in Note and host for Animal Rap and Parasite NoThankYou
- YouTube: Sui Ishida's public YouTube channel
- Tumblr: Ishida's Tumblr blog (very likely out of usage)
- Pivix: Ishida's Pivix account
- Twipple: Ishida's Twipple account
- Twitch: Ishida's Twitch account (very likely out of usage)
- FC2 Blog: Host for THE PENISMAN
- Template:Cite web
- Template:Cite web
- Interview with Director Shuhei Morita.