- This article is about the former investigator Koutarou known as A-OWL.
| This article needs to be updated. Please update this page to include recent events and/or newly available information.|
|Japanese Name||亜門 鋼太朗 （あもん こうたろう）|
|Species||Artificial One-eyed ghoul|
27 (Anteiku Raid)
30 (Tokyo Ghoul:re)
31 (after :re Ch. 32)
32 (after :re Ch. 130)
38 (:re Ch. 179)
|Born||April 7, 26 BSBI|
|Foot Length||28 cm|
|Occupation||Ghoul Investigator (Formerly)|
|Relatives||Unnamed Parents †|
Donato Porpora (Foster father) †
|Ward||20th Ward (Formerly)|
1st Ward (Formerly)
|Rc Level||230 (Human)|
5820 (Initial surge)
10181 (Most recent)
|Quinque||Doujima 1/2 (Koukaku/Bikaku)|
Arata proto • II (Koukaku)
|Rank||Rank 1 (until Ch. 80)|
First Class (after Ch. 80)
Special Class (Posthumous, after Ch. 143)
|Manga Debut||Chapter 10|
|Anime Debut||Episode 2|
|Novel Debut||Void: Chapter 1|
|Game Debut||Tokyo Ghoul: Jail|
Takuto Yoshinaga (young)
|English VA||Mike McFarland|
|Stage Play||Yūki Kimisawa|
|Film Actor||Nobuyuki Suzuki|
"What is right... what is wrong... you can't easily tell the difference. That's why you must keep thinking, whether what you are doing is right or not. That act itself, alone, can be called right."— Koutarou Amon, Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 98
Koutarou Amon (亜門 鋼太朗, Amon Kōtarō) is a former First Class Ghoul Investigator. He was Kureo Mado's last partner and his last partner was Akira Mado. He was subsequently declared dead by the CCG, though his body was never recovered, and was posthumously promoted to Special Class for his distinguished service. During the Rushima Landing Operation, he reappeared alive as an artificial one-eyed ghoul.
Amon is a very tall, handsome young man with black hair and teal eyes. His distinctive eyebrows are curved at the end. Due to his constant, vigorous training, he has an extremely athletic and muscular build.
Like most ghoul investigators, Amon usually wore a black suit with tie. If he left for an investigation, he additionally wore a white overcoat on top of his suit. He also wears a silver necklace with a cross.
Years later, he wears a cloak with a hood, and an outfit with a high collar underneath. He possesses a kakugan in his right eye. His right forearm and hand is made from a kagune, the hand itself deformed with only three fingers and a blade-like extension growing alongside the finger on the right side of his hand. After his right hand is destroyed in battle, it regenerates with four fingers, sans blade-like extension. One month after the Rushima operation, his right hand regenerates with five fingers.
Due to a personal experience as an orphan during his childhood, Amon came to the conclusion that the world was wrong, therefore he made it his task to change it. Because he believes it is ghouls who are twisting the world, he views their eradication as a way to mend it. After being spared by Ken Kaneki, Amon started to question the righteousness of his crusade and showed interest and curiosity, wanting to understand the ghoul. At heart, Amon is a likable, sympathetic young man with a great sense of justice, dedicated to his cause. So much so that he views his morality as anything done in the name of justice, demonstrated when he dug into a grave, something other investigators saw as immoral. Due to the connection between ghouls and his childhood and being raised by one, the fuel for his actions lie in his soft spot for children. One of the biggest justifications for his hatred of ghouls is the loss of the precious ones for these children. This was best conveyed when he sees an orphaned child taken in by the CCG and is motivated to work instead of rest.
Despite being well set in his mentality of his duties, he is quite apprehensive and insecure about losing people around him. He has lost many people throughout the course of his life and is fearful of losing more, he admits this to himself while fighting Kaneki, who incidentally feels the same. From this propensity, Amon reacted strongly to Kureo Mado's death. While investigating the ghouls responsible, he becomes near obsessed with it while feeling guilty for not arriving in time. Another incidence is when he intends to bring Seidou Takizawa, a former comrade, with him despite being transformed into a murderous one-eyed ghoul like himself which can also be used as evidence of his loyalty.
After Amon was transformed into a one-eyed ghoul, his worldview underwent a gradual transformation. Since he had become the very thing he scorned and vowed to destroy, Amon could no longer hold onto the rage and hatred that once fueled his life's purpose. As a result, Amon became consumed by feelings of emptiness, feeling that the time he spent in the CCG to be a waste and could not see a place for himself in the world any longer. It was only after embracing emptiness as a "feeling" in and of itself did Amon regain a sense of direction in his life.
Accompanying Amon's transformation came greater introspection about himself, his past, and lifelong beliefs about the world. Since becoming a ghoul, Amon could no longer see ghouls as abominations who prey on humans but rather individuals who exhibit human qualities such as benevolence and hatred; emotions that had once fueled Amon's life. This change is best exemplified by Amon's neutral even friendly stance with Touka Kirishima despite her being the person who killed his mentor, Kureo Mado. As Amon lives and fights as a ghoul, he comes to the realization that while ghouls are one of the causes creating a "wrong" world, he himself was a contributing factor to this distortion. This was caused by the fact that he refused to acknowledge that the simmering hatred he had felt for ghouls was really his own manipulation of his parental feelings for his ghoul foster father, Donato Porpora. Once Amon was able to accept this fact, he was able to make peace with himself and his depraved foster father.
Koutarou Amon was orphaned an uncertain point very early in his life, through an unknown cause. He lived a peaceful and happy life in a Catholic orphanage, cared for by the priest, Donato Porpora. However, one night he stumbled in on his foster father butchering a child that had supposedly been adopted and learned he was being raised by a ghoul. The orphanage was merely a front, allowing the seemingly kind priest to feast on child victims without raising suspicion. Even though his secret was revealed, Donato allowed Amon to live — an event that shaped the course of his life.
At twelve years old, Amon was found in the basement of the orphanage by Mikito Urie's squad following the CCG's capture of the infamous "Priest," causing Amon to be taken in by the CCG. He later entered the Ghoul Investigator Training Academy and graduated at the top of his class, becoming the partner of Senior Investigator Kureo Mado. Amon was initially uncertain of his unusual partner and disagreed with his reliance on intuition during investigations. His first investigation involved the serial predator "Applehead," a dangerous ghoul responsible for many deaths. Mado's prime suspect was Kie Muramatsu, an elderly woman — Amon's reluctance to suspect the woman nearly allowed her to kill him. However, Mado arrived in time to save his life and taught him to trust his partner's keen instincts.
After they had killed Asaki Fueguchi, Amon and Mado came to the 20th ward in pursuit of his wife, Ryouko Fueguchi and their daughter Hinami Fueguchi. By desecrating a grave Ryouko Fueguchi had visited, he was able to turn up evidence that the grave most likely belonged to Asaki Fueguchi. That served as proof that Ryouko Fueguchi was connected to the ghoul, so they confronted her together with investigators from the 20th Ward Branch Office. After Ryouko Fueguchi had attacked the investigators to give her daughter the opportunity to flee, Mado and Amon defeated her and finally, Mado killed her.
After he and 20th ward's investigators Ippei Kusaba and Yasutomo Nakajima had gone for dinner, they were attacked by Rabbit. Kusaba was killed and Amon nearly lost because he did not have his quinque with him. He and Nakajima were saved by Kureo Mado.
On the basis of false information spread by Touka Kirishima, Amon and Mado investigated Kasahara River, but were unable to find a hint about the Daughter ghoul. Amon proposed to leave, but Mado wanted to stay and told Amon he should leave ahead. When Mado called him as Mado attacked Touka and Hinami, Amon hurried to his partner's side but was stopped by Ken Kaneki. In the fight between Amon and Kaneki, Amon lost with his quinque Doujima 1/2 being destroyed, but he was spared by Kaneki. Afterward, Amon hurried again to Mado's location, but Mado was dead when he arrived.
Because he felt guilty for Mado's death, Amon became obsessed with his job. He considered the two fake students who provided the fake information to be the key — who were Touka and Kaneki in disguise.
To his surprise, headquarters deployed Yukinori Shinohara, Kousuke Houji, Seidou Takizawa and Juuzou Suzuya to the 20th ward, the Special Investigators being major figures in the CCG. This was a measure to deal with the dangerous stand-alone ghouls in the 20th ward. Additionally, CCG's 11th Ward Branch had become powerless, so the deployment was also meant to prevent the destruction of the CCG's 20th Ward Branch. Otherwise, a pincer attack on the wards between the 11th ward and the 20th ward could not be avoided.
The commander of the 11th Ward Special Countermeasures Unit ordered that Amon, Shinohara, and Suzuya shall participate in the unit. Because Doujima 1/2 was destroyed, Amon needed a replacement. Shinohara proposed that he could choose one of Mado's quinques, as Mado had written in his will.
During the 11th Ward Battle, Amon explained to Suzuya why they were unable to attack, due to a sniper's presence and the layout and location of Aogiri Tree's 11th Ward Base. He had worried where Suzuya was after he had used Itsuki Marude's motorcycle to get inside the building. He used his new quinque Kura to fight two of Aogiri's executives, the Bin brothers. Recalling Mado's advice about using any means necessary to win, he was able to kill the S-rated ghouls and help secure a victory. As the battle came to a close, he noticed Kaneki from a distance but was unable to catch up with him. He was left haunted by his wish to speak to the unusual ghoul and learn more about him.
Raid of Kanou's Lab
In the six months following the battle in the 11th ward, Amon was promoted to First Class. With his promotion to a senior investigator, he was assigned a new partner — Akira Mado, the daughter of his previous partner. The two first met as he gave a report at Mado's grave, and Amon quickly found himself struggling to deal with her.
Akira made things difficult for him, arguing about small details and refusing offers to spend time together away from the office. During the raid on the Ghoul Restaurant, the team discovered dozens of corpses and evidence that another ghoul had carried out the slaughter. Based on the evidence of a rinkaku capable of shattering a quinque, he theorized the Eyepatch ghoul was responsible for the massacre of the members.
In order to gain more information about Aogiri, Marude sent him to interrogate Donato Porpora about the attack on Cochlea. Instead, his foster father teased him about his new partner and asked questions about his personal life. Unable to get any further and angry over his past, Amon prepared to leave empty handed. However, Donato cryptically advised him to search for "Alice" instead of the "White Rabbit."
Though puzzled by these words, Amon continued his investigations of Rabbit with the assistance of an investigator assistant, Hideyoshi Nagachika. His findings eventually led him to discover something special involving Akihiro Kanou and led a team of investigators to check out his mansion. There, the group discovered Kanou's underground facility. Amon, Akira, and two other investigators fought against the combined forces of Shuu Tsukiyama and Naki. After a fierce battle that left Naki and Akira both wounded, the investigators were able to drive the ghouls off. Receiving word of Shinohara needing help, he arrived to discover an out-of-control incomplete kakuja seemingly eating the veteran investigator. Amon recognized the ghoul as Eyepatch and flew into a rage, battling him while demanding to know about their previous encounter. He was assisted by Juuzou Suzuya, but hesitated and allowed Kaneki to escape after seeing him weep in pain. Afterward, he berated Juuzou for abandoning his partner.
After a busy day at the office, Amon joined Seidou and Akira for dinner and drinks. Both ended up drunk, and Amon was unable to stop their argument until Seidou was forced to return to the office. Alone with Akira, their discussion turned to the death of her father and the bitter feelings both felt over it. Akira confessed to her feelings of resentment towards him, and her guilt over holding her father back. He agreed with her, blaming himself for his failure and swearing to protect her. When she passed out drunk, he took her home and watched over her as she broke down in tears. His conflicted feelings resulted in him going out onto the balcony to do pushups, berating himself for his failures as a partner. In the morning, Akira found him still outside and cooked him breakfast as thanks for his help.
On the eve of the Owl Suppression Operation, he visited the graveyard to see Touko Harima and Mado. While there, he encountered Akira and they spoke at length about the people they had lost. Akira attempted to kiss him, but was rejected and stormed away.
Owl Suppression Operation
During the Owl Suppression Operation, Amon was assigned to Squad 4 as Squad Leader. His orders took him to the outskirts of the operation zone, helping to prevent entry or escape of any ghouls. Along with his squad, he faced down members of the Apes and prevented them from escaping the 20th ward.
Eventually, he came face to face with Kaneki as he attempted to break through the blockade. Amon was surprised that once again, the two crossed paths during a major event. He wondered whether this meant the ghoul was his reaper, and refused to allow him through. Under the guise of a challenge, Amon gave his long-time rival his name and wished for him to survive the battle so they could finally talk. Though he recognized Kaneki's intention to break his quinque as in their previous battle, he was unable to prevent it and goes down.
Just then, Dr. Chigyou arrived with the upgraded Doujima and the Arata Proto II armor, throwing both cases to him. Amon donned the completed armor and wielded his new quinque, quickly knocking Kaneki unconscious with a single blow. Losing control over his kakuja, Kaneki continued to attack Amon and their battle soon led them away from Squad 4. Eventually, their battle ended when both critically wounded each other — leaving Amon without his arm, and Kaneki with an enormous hole in his side. As he collapsed, Amon was shocked to find his thoughts wander to his foster father, filling him with conflicting emotions.
Prompted by Akira's feeling that something was wrong, Seidou Takizawa located a wounded Amon in a side street. As Amon regained consciousness, the pair was located and joined by the half of Squad 4 commanded by Mutsumi Chino. Before they could radio for medical assistance they were ambushed by Tatara and members of Aogiri. The supporting squad wiped out, Amon and Seidou were alone to go against the ghouls. Prepared to fight alone, Amon ordered his friend to retreat, but Seidou refused and opened fire. Tatara quickly dispatched him, horrifying and enraging Amon, who charged at him.
In the aftermath of the battle, he was reported as having been killed in action. With the announcements of the deceased, Misato Gori confronted Akira over her apparent cold disposition despite losing her partner and her classmate. Houji listened in with a pained expression, but remained silent as Akira confessed to Misato that she liked them both. Though Akira was smiling, she began to shed tears as the other woman looked on in shock.
Koori Ui and Take Hirako discussed the inconsistencies in the official reports, noting that many investigators designated killed in action were never recovered. Meanwhile, Akihiro Kanou prepared to begin a new round of experiments using captured investigators.
Captured by Aogiri, Amon was given to Dr. Kanou and given the designation of "Owl 27." While Amon was unconscious in a chamber, Kanou and Eto have a conservation about his achievements and potential as a ghoul investigator but Eto noted they were in the past. Of the sixty-three investigators subjected to the ghoulification process, he was considered a failed specimen due to his abnormally rapid Rc cell increase.
Some time after his surgery, he was imprisoned in a cell and heard Takizawa plead and beg for something while realizing his arm was severed. A plate of meat was slid into his cell and when he was about to eat he remembers his time in the orphanage making him discern it was human flesh. Amon looked at his reflection in his cell's toilet water and saw his kakugan. He noted Kanou was responsible for converting him into a one-eyed ghoul and began to refuse eating. He was eventually strapped to an operating table and force-fed dissolved meat through a feeding tube placed over his mouth.
In the time following his initial transformation and gavaging, Amon was compelled by two Aogiri underlings to walk but they are ambushed with a Control Rc Gas Grenade and the guards were killed by Scarecrow who instructed Amon to run.
He was first mentioned when Haise Sasaki visited Donato Porpora, at the prisoner's request. He informed Sasaki that there was a ghoul of personal interest to him (and thus revealing that he somehow found out that Amon was a ghoul after his disappearance) and held one of the "keys" to Sasaki's lost memories. Though he revealed a name to Sasaki, the scene cut away to a figure in a tattered robe carrying a staff.
In the aftermath of the Auction, fleeing members of Aogiri Tree were ambushed. The same robed figure mentioned by Donato stood over a dying ghoul, who called out "f... lo... ppy...." The figure mentioned "Yasuhisa," and departed from the scene. When the bodies were later discovered by investigators, they found evidence of cannibalism.
He next appeared during Aogiri's ambush of the Quinx Squad, rescuing Saiko Yonebayashi from Shikorae. He displayed incredible physical strength and an ukaku-like attack, as well as a deformed right hand. Saiko thanked the man for saving her, but he fled once her comrades arrived.
While searching through the archives for information on the Eyepatch ghoul, Sasaki stumbled across draft reports written by Amon. These reports detailed his encounters with Kaneki, and his growing interest in the strange ghoul. While reading them, Sasaki experienced a hallucination of Kaneki weeping because he believed he killed Amon. Sasaki resolved to ask "him" about the information Amon left behind in his drafts.
During Sasaki's questions about Amon, he learned of Amon's double promotion to Special Class after his presumed death.
Rushima Landing Operation
In a hooded cloak, Amon observed events from a distance, with his kakugan active in his right eye. Seidou held Akira up, strangling her. As he tightened his grip, further suffocating Akira, Amon appeared and cut Takizawa's arm off, saving her. After cutting off Takizawa's arm, he was then kicked by the latter and fell to the ground, he later stated his goal was to save his former comrades, including Takizawa. As the battle ensued, Amon was repelled by Seidou's shards. Afterwards, Seidou quickly rushed towards him and locked him with his hands while piercing him with his kagune. Amon recovered from the impact and called Seidou out on his past actions, saying he needed to atone for his sins while labeling him as ghoul investigator. This enraged Seidou, and he charged Amon once more. They clashed with large kagune blades and Amon pleaded with his former comrade to come with him, as there were alternatives to repenting other than death. However, Takizawa only pierced Amon's kagune and tossed him aside, before he received a surprise-attacked as a quinque knife pierced his eye.
Exhausted, Amon only watched as Tooru Mutsuki announced he would buy time until reinforcements arrived and began the extermination of both Owl and Floppy. The fight went awry quickly for Takizawa, as he was easily tricked by Mutsuki's quick and clever tricks that soon brought him onto his back. Before Seidou could be finished, Akira put herself in the way of Mutsuki's kagune, not being able to bear the sight of her long-lost friend dying like that. When Mutsuki continued his assault however, content on killing both of them, Amon took action, the sight of his friends being tortured enraging him. He struck at Mutsuki with Doujima's handle. Mutsuki moved in to bind him with his kagune, but his physical strength proved superior as he broke free. Then he bit Mutsuki's shoulder and managed to take away a large piece of flesh. Revitalized, he activated his quinque using kagune from his right arm, completing Doujima's form. His attack was short lived however, as the rest of the Quinx Squad arrived and Urie used Ginkui to restrain and slam him against a wall.
They swiftly attacked him strategically from all sides, however an error occurred, allowing him to use the opening to knock Touma Higemaru unconscious and crush the kagune of Shinsanpei Aura, one of the Quinx, as well as cut his right leg off. Amon spoke to Takizawa, instructing him to take Akira and leave, throwing him his cross necklace, being the first time he had removed it throughout the series. Takizawa took Yumitsu Tomoe and Akira as his "hostage" as he planned to leave the island and Amon continued his fight with the Quinx Squad. Urie struck at him with Ginkui before Hsiao back-kicked Amon from behind and rapidly attacked him with Kuai 1/4. Amon was then cut in the shoulder by Urie, who yelled to Saiko to hit Amon with a powerful strike which he astonishingly took. Remembering he once saved her life during the Rose investigation, she attempted to gain ownership rights over him but Urie stopped her and Amon connected with a decimating blow from the investigator's quinque.
Severely injured, Amon transformed into a giant kakuja, retaliating the attack while decimating both Hsiao and Urie. Prompted to attack, Mutsuki and Higemaru both assaulted Amon, while the latter easily defeated them both, shoving Higemaru into a wall. Enraged, Urie engaged Amon again, and while the ghoul was about to pin Urie down, he got interrupted by Saiko. Terrified and shocked, Saiko asked Amon why he saved her before. Amon replied that it was a right thing to do, and that she always needed to keep thinking what was right or wrong, right before being crushed by her kagune.
CCG Lab Infiltration
Months after the events on Rushima, Amon was found in a chamber at the CCG Laboratory in the 1st ward by Kaneki and his team. He broke the glass and freed himself, manifesting his kagune with a menacing grin. As his body structure began to mutate into distorted patterns, Kaneki charged and struck Amon, which Amon dodged with his blade. Amon then proceeded to unleash massive tentacles from his blade, which forced Kaneki to flip away from the mindless ghoul. As the group faced Amon, he continued to make distorted noises whilst his kagune continuously mutated. Watching Kaneki make the decision to leave the responsibility of battling Amon to Takizawa and Kurona, Amon got in a battle stance with blades sprouting from his sides, preparing to fight.
Mutating into a kakuja state, he took the initiative and opened the fight by launching projectiles. His opponents quickly dodged and, without wasting time, lunged and slashed at him in an X-formation. Amon was largely unaffected and continued bombarding them. Getting distracted by Takizawa's own projectiles, he received several powerful blows from Kurona, her combo attacks managing to smash his armor and taking him down briefly. He recovered in seconds and proceeded to smash the floor and lunge straight at his assailant with a huge blade. Before she could give in to the fatigue, Takizawa stepped in and impaled his other arm with a blade of his own. In vain, as Amon's cells immediately started rejecting his own and resulted in a mini explosion. He finally cast Kurona unable to fight further with a mighty blow and stood by as Takizawa activated his own kakuja. In a deranged mental state caused by his kakuja, Amon was put down by Takizawa and brought to the Goat organization.
Post-CCG Lab Infiltration
Once there, he recovered and regained his senses. He was also present during Akira Mado's surgery, performed by members of the Great Wheel Act. After it was finished, he finally met face to face with his past rival, Eyepatch.
Some time after Akira's awakening, he visited :re. There, he met with yet another past acquaintance of his, Rabbit. He asked for a cup of coffee and they talked about Akira. Touka prompted him to go and see her. Amon responded that losing her caused him great emotional distress and anger, not directed at the ghouls, but at the world and the circumstances that brought them where they now stand. Touka simply asked him if, while he roamed as a lone ghoul, he ever desired to see and talk to her. Amon confirmed it and was told there was nothing to fear at all. He later visited her in her room, bringing Maris Stella with him and greeting her awkwardly.
Amon tried to justify himself for being distant, but she stopped him. She explained that after he was presumed dead, she tried to kill all emotion inside her and devoted herself to her work. Yet what she was feeling at that moment was not anger or happiness; it was confusion. Amon told her that while he remained at the Goat base she could always call upon him and left her.
Some time later, they met again by chance. Akira told him that after meeting Fueguchi and some ghoul children, she could not feel any hatred against them. Having lost her place in the CCG, all sense of duty was gone from her. Amon told her to embrace and accept the emptiness she felt. Because that way, she was free to decide and do whatever she wished with her life. Akira retained her doubts, expressing fear over facing this nothingness alone. Amon then pulled her close, promising to remain by her side always. Then, they finally kissed.
Far later on, Amon and Akira appear together after having been called by Hide to organize plans on bringing down Dragon and it's main body, Kaneki. The three have a small conversation about the current situation of the entire kagune, and when both Amon and Akira have a certain idea of what Hide plans to do, Amon questions Hide about his reasons to go so far to help his friend, to which Hide replies with declarating some sort of love for him.
Some time later, the three met up with Touka, Tsukiyama, and the rest of Goat, thus leading them to the CCG headquarters, where they discussed with the investigators why they should join hands with Ghouls. IN response to the initial denial from the CCG, Amon quoted the prefare of the Ghoul Countermeasures Law, stating that an Investigator's true goal is to fight for peace, instead of killing Ghouls.
After the union of the two groups, Amon went along with the CCG and Goat to bring Dragon down, initially searching for signals for the ring inside the gigantic kagune structure. Once it was woken up and started forming sentient kagune monsters, Amon fought them alongside the rest of the army of investigators and Ghouls.
Once Kaneki's body was retrieved from Dragon, Amon and Akira were part of the group of people who went to visit Kaneki directly, while he was unconscious. Upon him waking up, Amon was the one to talk to Kaneki about the situation between Goat and CCG, and how his friend, Hide, managed to bring the two groups together for Kaneki's sake.
Later on, during the assault on the JSDF and operation headquarters by the Clowns and V, Amon was sent alongside a backup investigation squad to fight off the attack. He only appeared after Hinami managed to locate the source of the recently arrived Owl's force, therefore pointing out to the group of Clowns. Upon them being tracked down, Amon immediately attacked Donato using his Quinque, Doujima 1/2 from above, however, the latter blocked with his own Kagune. After the collision, the two slid back from eachother, preparing to fight as Donato greeted his foster son politely.
The fight began with Amon stating that all of the Clown's actions were pointless, as Donato launched kagune appendages at him. Amon rapidly formed a kagune shield using Doujima, blocking the attack, before raising the Quinque staff, forming a lance and throwing it towards Donato at incredible speeds. Donato tried blocking the attack with a shield of his own kagune, but in response, Amon managed to cause the Quinque to start spinning from afar during the collision, effectively drilling through the man's defenses and piercing through him. Seemingly at the brink of death, or rather, having difficulties regenerating, Nico healed Donato's wound using his kagune. The latter started showing his fascination towards Amon's abilities, and even compared them to Haise's. However, Amon was then attacked by two of Donato's clones from behind, who managed to impale him from the inside out. Unable to react, Amon was then smashed and pummelled around repeatedly by Donato's kagune, while Takizawa and Tomoe observed the fight from a distance.
Despite his wounds, Donato told Amon to continue the fight, teasing him. The two proceeded to clash repeatedly, while Yumitsu noticed Amon was wasting chances, therefore holding back. Takizawa explained he wasn't able to kill him because it would leave him empty, recalling to the same situation Houji was faced against when fighting him. He then threw out the cross necklace, questioning Amon about why he would still wear it. Determined, Amon stood up, continuing to clash, suddenly overpowering Donato's clone and destroying it. He recalled the words he once said in the past, continuing to fight while understanding that transforming into a Ghoul had allowed him to understand more about the world. As the two clashed attacks repeatedly, Amon suddenly raised his Quinque, forming a giant cross shaped broadsword before striking down the finishing blow through his foster father, forming a hole through his body while acknowledging that he loved him.
Shortly after bisecting Donato, and as Donato laid dying, Amon and Donato have one last conversation on Donato's purpose of being as evil as he could be after being given the title of Crown by the Clowns. Amon reminisces on how Donato cared for the orphans, including Amon, and recalls how the food and shelter that was given to them by Donato was nostalgic and how he even held the memories dear. Despite all the evil things Donato as done, even denouncing him as a depraved individual who has only caused suffering, Amon breaks down in tears as he told Donato that it isn't wrong for a son loving his father. As Donato hysterically laughs, he also starts crying profusely and questions the entitlement of being a father and a "masterpiece" - showing that he somewhat feels remorseful for his actions and was shaken by Amon's final words to him. Donato's incessant laughter finally ceases after he dies shortly after.
Donato was his ghoul foster parent and they lived together in a Catholic orphanage. But one day, Amon discovered that Donato had been slaughtering the children in the orphanage daily, which made Amon grow a sense of hatred toward him. Since then he has cut his ties with him and refuses to recognize him as his foster family. When defeated by Kaneki, Amon is frustrated over how he remembers Donato as his father, thinking why it was him even in a moment like that. When fighting him during the JSDF assault, Amon was having difficulties bringing himself to fight him without holding back, and later acknowledged that he did feel affection and love towards him when delivering the final blow on Donato, and admitted that he felt nostalgic towards his days back in the orphanage, and couldn't bring himself to hate his father, despite knowing what type of person he was.
Mado was Amon's first partner and a mentor in Amon's eyes. He respected him greatly and learned a lot from him. When Mado was killed, he underwent a phase of great sorrow and promised to catch Rabbit, the ghoul who killed him. Amon still feels responsible for arriving too late to save his mentor, as he reveals to Akira when she is drunk.
Amon's second partner/first subordinate. They met for the first time in the cemetery where both had gone to pay their respect to her father's grave. At first, their relationship was strained because Akira held Amon responsible for Kureo's death. After several ghoul incidents, and a time wherein Akira had gotten drunk, their bond grew closer and they started to work well together. Before the battle against Anteiku, Amon offered her a cat strap because it reminded him of her cat, and they went together to see Kureo's grave one more time, Amon asking her not to be rash in the future battle against Anteiku. Akira has romantic feelings toward Amon as she tried to kiss him once before, which he stopped. Later, the two are placed in different squads during the battle against Anteiku. After Amon and Takizawa have been reported dead she ends up confessing that she really cared for her superior Amon and her old school rival Takizawa.
Years later, now as a one-eyed ghoul, Amon expresses shame and disgust towards what he has become. Such that he refused to contact Akira, fearing how she might react. He never stopped caring for her, and when the time was right, showed himself to save her from a deranged Takizawa. He even took care of her pet cat during her recovery from her surgery. However, he still had his doubts about seeing her eye to eye again until Touka convinced him to do so. After talking with and explaining his own plights to her, he acted upon his own romantic feelings and kissed her.
At first, Amon thought Kaneki was just a regular ghoul. However, after being spared by Kaneki after their first confrontation and seeing him crying while begging him not to make him a murderer, Amon begins to gain interest in Kaneki as to why he was spared and what his motivations are. Once Amon concluded that Kaneki and Rabbit were the keys to solving Mado's death, he began pursuing Kaneki in search of answers. Amon was responsible for stopping Kaneki's rampage when he was raiding Kanou's Lab. Kaneki was the only ghoul that Amon does not seem to have any real hatred or scorn for, although he has a lot of questions that he wanted to ask him. After fighting Kaneki during the Owl Suppression Operation, Amon lost his arm. Even after being severely wounded by Kaneki's kakuja, Amon persists to stay alive in order to prevent Kaneki from becoming a murderer.
During their time working together, Amon and Takizawa were on great terms. The younger investigator greatly admired him and had been quite the fan of him prior to being assigned to the 20th ward, though Amon was often left trying to keep the peace between Takizawa and Akira. During the raid on Anteiku, Takizawa abandoned his position to rescue Amon and ended up sacrificing himself trying to protect Amon, showing great loyalty to his friend.
After being captured and experimented on by Aogiri, their relationship has been significantly altered. Though angered over the crimes Takizawa has committed, Amon still considers him a comrade and desperately tries to bring him back to his senses. In contrast, Takizawa looked down on him and reacted violently to his lectures. Takizawa no longer admired Amon, looking down on him as a Floppy and violently rejecting the other man's reprimands and offers of help. When Takizawa had regained his senses, he fled Rushima with Akira, doing as Amon asked.
During the CCG Lab Raid, Takizawa encountered a deranged and berserk Amon. He was determined to bring his former comrade back to his senses. During the confrontation, Takizawa again pondered about how he still looks up to the former investigator and that he himself wishes to be noble as Amon. When he realized his own future may have been bleak, he wishes to live for someone as bright as Amon and even for Akira, to make her happy by bringing Amon back home.
Shinohara was Amon's teacher in the CCG Academy. Amon respects him a great deal, admiring his achieved victories over numerous brutal ghouls. Just like Mado, Shinohara is like a mentor to him, giving him advice and lectures frequently. The two also worked together in their investigations of the ghouls Binge Eater, Gourmet and Rabbit. When Kaneki hurt Shinohara in Kanou's laboratory, Amon became enraged and immediately charged at him to rescue Shinohara.
Amon considered Suzuya to be quite weird and was angered by his carefree attitude and how he was uncaring of Shinohara's injuries. They later started to get along, though Amon said that he still does not understand the way Suzuya sees the world.
Amon admired Houji, viewing him as an excellent veteran investigator and acknowledging his achievements in using quinques. The two also cooperated in their investigations of the ghouls Binge Eater, Gourmet, and Rabbit.
Amon admired and respected Arima, viewing him as a role model of a ghoul investigator. Arima commended Amon for his promotion to a senior investigator and efforts during the 11th Ward Battle.
Hide worked under Amon and Akira when he joined the CCG, running errands for him such as buying lunch. Amon sometimes chided Hide when he was not working or socializing, a small clash between Hide's carefree disposition and Amon's work-orientated mentality. Nevertheless, Amon cared for Hide and was determined to find out more about the incident involving Kanou and Kaneki for his sake.
In :re, the two appear to have an alliance, with Hide rescuing him from Aogiri at some point in the past under the alias of Scarecrow. Since then, both have made appearances during the same major events and have cooperated with each other.
Harima was Amon's old friend whom he still remembers fondly. He keeps and uses her quinque (Doujima 1/2) as a personal memento of her. Akira believed Amon may have loved her more than a friend and saw Harima in her after he refused to kiss her, although Amon neither denied or confirmed it.
Gori is secretly in love with him, though unable to confess her feelings out loud. When they worked together during the 11th Ward Battle, her embarrassment resulted in her acting gruff towards him to hide her actual feelings. Afterwards, she devoted time to attempting to learn to cook in hopes of conveying her affections towards him but even then, was unable to tell him. After he was declared dead during the Owl Suppression Operation, she became hysterical and refused to believe the reports.
In the past, Amon occasionally went to Kurona's academy to give lectures. She respected him as a teacher and would approach him after class for advice. When they came across each other in Kanou's lab, Amon immediately recognized her and tried to approach her, but she fled. Her appearance as an one-eyed ghoul sparked Amon's disbelief and curiosity, causing him to wonder what exactly happened to her.
In :re, it is implied that Amon had been observing Kurona's actions from the shadows, as shown when he recognized the cannibalism of Aogiri members as her doing. During his battle with the Quinx Squad, Amon mentions to Takizawa that he came to Rushima for him as well as Kurona. During the CCG Lab Infiltration, Kurona encountered a deranged and berserk Amon. She, along with Takizawa, were determined to bring him back to his senses. After the battle, Kurona brought Amon back to Goat, addressing him as "First Class Amon."
The two first crossed paths when Amon saved Saiko from Shikorae, though Amon left before Saiko could even know who he was or thank him. When Saiko encountered Amon during the Rushima Landing Operation, she recognized him as her savior from before and even pleaded to have ownership rights over him, wanting to know more about him. However, Saiko threw away her personal feelings towards Amon and crushed him with her kagune when the latter went berserk and overpowered her fellow squad members. Saiko then asked why Amon saved her back then, to which he replied it was the right thing to do. Before being crushed, Amon advised Saiko to always consider if her actions are right or wrong, reducing her to tears.
Both having an enormous zeal to rewrite the wrongs done to their own kind, put them both at odds with each other from the start. This soon escalated when Touka (as Rabbit) killed Amon's temporary colleague, Ippei, and his tutor and close friend Kureo Mado. From that point on Amon harbored intense hate for the individual that was guilty of these actions. But with the passing of time and tragedy that befell Amon turning him into a half-ghoul, these feelings mellowed or rather are pointed elsewhere. This allowed for both Amon and Touka to lay the fundamentals for a neutral relationship devoid of hate through their insights and understandings gained over time.
Eto is fascinated by him, taking an active interest in Amon after witnessing his battle against a deranged Kaneki. She seems to know quite a bit about his past, considering this unusual and noteworthy enough to make him more interesting than the half-ghoul Kaneki. In her human identity, she goes to the CCG headquarters to meet with him under the guise of an interview. There, she discloses information about Kanou's laboratory, and causes him to begin questioning the secrets the CCG might be hiding.
Amon was involved in an investigation concerning Kanou, suspecting him to have had a role in the disappearances of Kaneki and the Binge Eater, as well as creating artificial one-eyed ghouls. Kanou knew plenty about Amon, including his upbringing as a ghoul's foster son and his reputation as an excellent investigator. He immediately deemed his as a good subject and performed the kakuhou transplant surgery on Amon. Upon waking up with a kakugan, Amon immediately recognized it to be the work of Kanou. Amon resented Kanou for transforming him into a ghoul, glaring at him when he was told to eat human flesh. Ultimately, Kanou deemed Amon a failure and classified him as a "floppy".
He first met this cat when entering Akira's apartment, greeting her and being ignored. Later on during Tokyo Ghoul:re, Amon eventually breaks through Akira's house in order to get Maris Stella and put her in the Goat base for Akira once she woke up.
Powers and Abilities
Ghoul Physiology: He inherited Yoshimura's kakuhou, and gained an ukaku kagune as a result, becoming a half-ghoul in the process. Shortly after his transformation, he experienced an uncontrolled surge in Rc cells and has been left in an unstable state as a result. This led to him being labeled a Floppy, and discarded by Dr. Kanou. This malfunction was thereafter fixed by the CCG's experiments on him. Due to hybrid vigor, Amon's abilities are said to be more potent than that of a natural-born ghoul.
- Ukaku Kagune: He appears to have an ukaku kagune of decent power, capable of firing off numerous projectiles. These can easily blast holes into another ghoul's body, as demonstrated during his brief battle with Shikorae. He exhibits great accuracy, able to hit all four of Ginkui's mouths with four projectiles in an instant. These can vary in size, from small to human-sized. He also demonstrated that he can form a tentacle which can attack from short to mid-range. He is able to release round bullet-like ukaku attacks, which chopped off Takizawa's leg and broke his full kakuja into pieces.
- Ukaku Kakuja: Amon possesses a grotesque and mutated armor. In this form, Amon has a mutated head with multiple eyes and a deformed mouth with multiple blades protruding out of his back. He is able to fire large drill shaped projectiles at a target that are as large as a human body. In his second kakuja form, he is able to produce two large scimitars blades from his shoulders and also multiple smaller ones protruding out of his back. He has a large humanoid form that closely resembles Yoshimura's kakuja form. In this form, he has fought off both Takizawa and Kurona with ease, until the former activated a kakuja of his own.
- Kagune Arm: Amon has a kagune-like arm capable of forming a blade sharp enough to cut through body parts. This arm is durable and capable of blocking powerful attacks.
- Kagune Detachment: Amon can detach kagune from his arm to complete the form of his quinque, Doujima 1/2. After escaping the CCG labs, Amon's Kagune and Quinque manipulation abilities seem to be enhanced to a whole new level, now being able to freely control the aspect of Doujima, and form Kagune appendages and shields from it.
- RC Cell Backflow: Upon having being modified in the CCG Labs, Amon seems to be capable of exploding any kagune by direct physical contact, pushing back and affecting the any RC cells, causing the kagune to explode completely. With this, Amon was able to effortlessly explode Takizawa's kagune blade, only a few seconds after being stabbed by him.
- Superhuman Strength: Amon was part of the 0.01% of humanity with physical powers rivaling those of ghouls. As a human he trained extensively in weightlifting, his strength allowed him to wield heavy koukaku quinque. As a one-eyed ghoul, Amon manages to rip through Mutsuki's kagune, break free from Ginkui, crush Shinsanpei Aura's kagune with his hand, as well as send Touma Higemaru flying with a single hit and smash a large crater into the ground by simply stomping on it. In his second kakuja form, his strength is empowered to the point he could achieve the same with a single punch.
- Superhuman Regeneration: Amon regenerated his torso after Ginkui's remote activated inside his body. In his second kakuja form, his regeneration was so fast that it took him mere moments to recover from the damage he received from both Takizawa and Kurona.
- Superhuman Agility: He is incredibly fast, as he disappeared shortly after Saiko took her eyes off him for a very brief period of time.
- Superhuman Durability: Amon received multiple frontal heavy attacks and yet showed no signs of weakening after being impaled with a kagune.
Swordsmanship: As an investigator, Amon was proficient and deadly while wielding a quinque, able to easily and efficiently eliminate ghouls.
- Doujima 1/2: A simple koukaku quinque which initially took the form of a club used to swing heavy blows that are tough to block. During a fight with Ken Kaneki, it was broken and later repaired using the Bin brothers' kagune. The repaired Doujima 1/2 takes the form of a lance-like spear. For additional offensive power, the brothers' kagune can be projected from the spearhead, spiraling around it in a drill-like manner, but it was destroyed again. Years after the Owl Suppression Operation he still wields the quinque. He carries only its handle section and, when he wishes to release it, uses parts of his kagune to complete its form.
- Kura: The koukaku quinque is a quarterstaff with a large blade at its end that can take down multiple ghouls in a single swing. The blade can be separated into dual falchion blades to lure opponents off guard and have a quicker weapon at hand. While the swords are a bit heavy for single hand use, Amon can also throw and retract them for longer reach. Amon used this quinque because its weight was similar to Doujima 1/2's. Mado bestowed the quinque on him in his will. It was destroyed by Kaneki during their fight.
- Arata proto • II: A koukaku kakuja quinque that is an upgrade from its predecessor, Arata Proto. This quinque takes the form of a suit of armor that auto-equips onto Amon's body. Arata Proto II augments Amon's strength, speed, and durability to the point of being able to fight toe to toe with Kaneki, an SS-rated ghoul, for a period of time. However using the quinque bears a heavy burden on the body which could be mitigated due to Amon's high physical abilities. The quinque was destroyed by Ken Kaneki in his kakuja form.
- Unnamed Quinque: A quinque of unknown type that Amon used during his early days as an investigator. It took the form of a spear with a harpoon-like head. Its capabilities remain unknown as Amon was disarmed by Kie Muramatsu before he could use it.
- Amon likes to train and investigate.
- In the first character popularity poll, Amon was ranked eleventh. In the latest, he came in as ninth.
- Amon likes to eat sweets like donuts, but dislikes spicy food.
- Amon is actually the name of the Egyptian god Amon-Ra, the sun god and god of all gods, the name meaning "the hidden one."
- There are several differences between the anime and manga concerning Amon:
- During his second fight with Kaneki. In the 11th episode of Tokyo Ghoul √A, Amon just fought with his Doujima. In the manga, Amon used Doujima as well as the Arata Proto II.
- In the manga, Amon first used Kura to fight Kaneki, and then used Doujima after Kura was destroyed by Kaneki. But in the anime, Amon fought Kaneki by using Doujima from the start.
- Amon loses his left arm in the manga, but in the anime, it remained intact.
- In the manga, Amon was defeated by Kaneki when he was forced to use his kakuja form. In the anime, Kaneki defeated Amon without using his kakuja form.
- During the end of the Auction Raid, some CCG investigators noted Takeomi Kuroiwa being the first to kill a ghoul with his bare hands since Koutarou Amon.
- After the Owl Suppression Operation, Amon was posthumously promoted to Special Class.
- In Tokyo Ghoul Trump, he is featured as the "Jack of Diamonds."
- Amon is associated with the tarot card The Emperor (IV), as in Re: Chapter 110, he is found in Chamber 4 of the CCG lab inside a container labelled "Re", or "King".
- His visual acuity is 2.0.
- The scene of him biting Mutsuki's shoulder mirrors when he was bitten on the shoulder by Kaneki during their first conflict.
- Sui Ishida stated that, for a time, he used to call Amon "Koumon Tarou" in his mind, which is an anagram for "Koumon Rota," meaning "anal beads" — a reference to Ishida's character Analbeadsman from his previous series The Penisman.
- His Rc level, 10181, is the highest level recorded in the series.
- To Kusaba and Nakajima: "Morals...? With that 'morality' you can't crush evil. We are justice, that is our morality."
- To Kaneki: "This world is wrong."
- To himself: "I will change [the world]... I’ll show them. I will be the one to correct this wrong world."
- To Ken Kaneki (mentally): "If you somehow manage to make it out alive. Everyone will be aiming for your head... Even so allow me to make an earnest request... Don't die. I wish to hear your story."
- To himself: "All my life... I have always been losing things. My biological mother and father. The false image of the man who raised me. My friends. My teacher. I'm scared. What will I lose next? this is where I make my last stand. You absolutely won't pass through here. Eyepatch... you can take a small break..."
- To Donato: "Be quiet. I don't think of you as a father."
- To Donato: "... I'm wearing this so that I don't forget the days I spent at the orphanage. At the time I didn't know of your daily slaughter. Its only a symbol to repent for my " Sin of Ignorance". Since then I've felt nothing but hatred towards you. Even now you... It's disgusting that you're still alive."
- To Kaneki: "... But I only want to know one thing. Donato Porpora, the ghoul that eats little children. What was the reason, he left me alone even though I was in front on him... What was the reason he didn't kill me? If it's you... If it's you who once let me escape... I thought you might understand something...!!"
- To Donato: "Father... Why is Kazuki over there...? I thought he left the facility... Yuusuke too and Akie too didn't you say they found foster parents?"
- To Takizawa: "Ghoul? That's you deceiving yourself. You have sinned... The investigators you've killed... the civilians you've eaten... Unforgivable. But... I know. I know your weakness. And I know your strength. You are no ghoul... You are a ghoul investigator!"
- To Takizawa: "You're right, I'm an idiot, and weak. But I'll still fight."
- To Saiko: "What is right... what is wrong... you can't easily tell the difference. That's why you must keep thinking, whether what you are doing is right or not. That act itself, alone, can be called right."
- To Touka: "Rabbit. Losing Mado made me feel pain, rage... It lit a fire in my chest that will burn till I die. But that fire doesn't burn at you. It burns at this world, the circumstances that gave us no choice but to do what we did. At least, that's what I know now. I came here today to tell you that."
- To Akira: "Hatred, rage.. I understand what it feels like to live supported only by those emotions. When they finally dissolve, it feels like you're left hollow. I... after becoming like this, I too have had to live side-by-side with that emptiness. I thought that all the time I had spent as an investigator was for naught. As was the coming future... But... Everything's not totally gone. If 'emptiness' is another feeling then it, too, exists... Gazing into that emptiness is painful. It's hard. But if you can face it, unfaltering, it will eventually give you the answer you seek... How you want to live your life."
- To himself: "Eyepatch. It's thanks to this body that I finally learned a few things. Most Ghouls will be regarded by humans as creatures to be feared. That fact will not change, even if I use my justice to bring them to light and compare their faults. Yet, the more I learn of this world, the more I realize... far more so than any of them... Donato Porpora is absolute evil. That is an incontrovertible truth."
- To himself: "I've known. I've known, but I've ignored it all this time. This world is twisted... and among those twisting it... among the ones twisting it was me."
- To Donato: "Donuts. The donuts you used to make for us as snacks. They were delicious. You came with blankets on cold nights. And when the dog we took in died, you built it a grave in the hills."
- To Donato: "Yes. I try to forget those days. I try to hate you. But... To me... The days I spent in that orphanage are terribly dear. I am an orphan. An abandoned child. You raised me. I know exactly what sort of person you are. A villain. A ghoul. A mass murderer. An amoral drag of a man."
- To Donato: "Yet... Is it a son's fault for loving his father?"